Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > All in the looks! > Appearance, Car Care and Audio

I need some fast help with installing Roush Scoop
Old
  (#1)
Hawk08GT
InSaNeLy FaSt Member
Hawk08GT is working on being a goody goody.

I need some fast help with installing Roush Scoop - 05-14-2008

I just have a few quick questions...

The instructions say to use a 5mm drill bit. Well I can't exactly find a 5mm bit, but I found a conversion table online and it says that a 7/32 is equivalent. However 7/32 is about 50% larger than the screw that goes through it, is this just for adjustments?

Also, what do I use to prep the surface? The instructions say to get the following:

Dupont 2319 Plastic Prep
Dupont 2330S or equivalent Adhesion Promoter (For Paint)
3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter (for double-sided tape)

Now I'm guessing that the adhesion promoter for the paint is for the holes where they recommend rust proofing paint. And the adhesion promoter for the tape is obvious. But are these products usually available at most parts stores? Or do I need to go to the 3M company store to get this special stuff?

Any other tips would be helpful, thank!

-Hawk

2008 Mustang GT Vista Blue
Mods: Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI tuned by BamaChips; Steeda Billit CMDP's, Steeda UDP's, Ford Racing GTA Exhaust, GT500 Wheels w/Nitto 555's, Roush Hood Scoop, GT500 Rear Spoiler.
Comming Soon: Gears (not sure which ones), Driveshaft, Suspension Kit (undecided), Steeda Chrome Moly LCA's, CHE K-Member Brace, CHE Squat Brackets, MGW Shifter.

Old
  (#2)
05mach1
Collective Junkie
05mach1 is a total phucktard

05-14-2008

larger hole for the adjustments and keeps the hood from bowing in around the bolts. Adhesion promoter found at the automotive paint stores, probably Napa or the like. You need this!

Life is too short to drive slow cars!

Old
  (#3)
Torchred)^
14-Second Member
Torchred)^ is working on being a goody goody.

05-14-2008

All I did when I installed mine is made sure all the wax was stripped from the area. No problems yet...

Old
  (#4)
Hawk08GT
InSaNeLy FaSt Member

05-14-2008

Cool, I got some adhesion promoter. Do you spray this stuff on just the scoop parts? I really don't think that I want to spray it on the car too...messy.

Oh, and about painting the holes that I drill, I got some Red Oxide Primer, should I use that or just some vista blue paint and clear coat? Or should I get just a primer/sealer? My options are limited because I want to use a touch-up style system like Dupli-Color's Scratch 2-in-1. So is this Red Oxide stuff gonna be good for preventing rust on these holes?

Mods: Steeda Carbon Fiber CAI tuned by BamaChips; Steeda Billit CMDP's, Steeda UDP's, Ford Racing GTA Exhaust, GT500 Wheels w/Nitto 555's, Roush Hood Scoop, GT500 Rear Spoiler.
Comming Soon: Gears (not sure which ones), Driveshaft, Suspension Kit (undecided), Steeda Chrome Moly LCA's, CHE K-Member Brace, CHE Squat Brackets, MGW Shifter.

Old
  (#5)
popeye
Collective Permanent Resident
popeye is a total phucktard

05-14-2008

The adhesion promotor should go on both sufaces that the tape comes in contact with. The hood is made of aluminum is it not? No need for the rust prep if it is.
now get some blue masking tape so that when you figure out exactly where you want the scoop outline the area with the tape. that way it will line up perfectly when you are ready to stick it down, 3m tape does not reposition very well, and you can spay the promotor and keep over spay to a minimum.

Old
  (#6)
Hawk08GT
InSaNeLy FaSt Member

05-14-2008

Alright, just so I make sure I got the right promoter....which I kinda think I don't. The stuff I got is in a spray paint can and goes on like a coat of clear primer. Link: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/adhesion.html

This stuff is for paint...where can I get promoter for tape?

Old
  (#7)
Hawk08GT
InSaNeLy FaSt Member

05-22-2008

Well, I got the scoop on just fine. I ended up finding the 3M adhesion promoter wipes at a Sherwin Williams Automotive store. And I gotta say wow.

Those wipes are the perfect primer for 3M double sided tape and really make it stick.

I will have to get some pics up sometime soon.

But I just wanted to make sure to tell anyone that is going to do anything like this to USE THE ADHESION PROMOTER!

Old
  (#8)
CruzinQueen
Collective Junkie
CruzinQueen is working on being a goody goody.

05-23-2008

I don't believe I used adhesion promoter, just cleaned all of the wax with the 3m Adhesive Wax and Grease Remover. It's been on for about a year and has gone through the touchless washes/power washer. No problems, looks fantastic, especially from the driver's seat.

2007 Mustang Premium Pony Package- AKA: MYA
Torch Red, Charcoal Leather, Shaker 500, IUP, JBA Headers,
Custom True Duals, GT Mufflers, GT Rear Bumper and Side Skirts,
BamaChips 93 Octane Performance Tune,
Roush Hood Scoop, Custom Roush-inspired Paint
1986 Fiero GT
Hugger Orange Metallic custom paint (Owner Restored)
Original 2.8L Automatic

"I've always been a band geek...I just never joined the band!"- American Pie

Old
  (#9)
Torchred)^
14-Second Member
Torchred)^ is working on being a goody goody.

05-23-2008

Same here, stripped the wax, used 5 out of the 7 bolts and the tape. No problems...

Old
  (#10)
Hawk08GT
InSaNeLy FaSt Member

05-24-2008

I'm not surprised that it's still sticking just by cleaning really well. Anyone that has done any body work knows that the better prep you do, the better it looks. Same goes for this type of work.

But like I said, the adhesion promoter isn't a cleaner. I had thought it was a cleaner, but after I got it and did some reading I found out that it leaves a residue on the car that helps the sticky stuff stick.

Case in point: I used the adhesion promoter on the hood and that's when I saw that the stuff on the hood wasn't drying. So then I had to clean it off and boy, that stuff doesn't just wipe off. I had to use rubbing alcohol a few times to get it all up. Just wanted to let you guys know so no one makes the same mistake I did.

Also, I put some tape on part of the scoop after using the promoter and then realized I put it in the wrong place so I had to get it up. It took me about 10 minutes to get a 6" strip up. At least I know it's gonna stay put!